Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Delia Smith's Molten Chocolate Puddings


Very easy to make, and visually quite a treat, these were featured on Delia's HOW TO COOK series aired on BBCE recently. Fortunately, I also purchased the entire series of books, so I had the recipe in hardcopy, without having to take dictation (now, that's a word I haven't heard since Form 3).

200gm butter
200gm dark chocolate
2 tablespoons brandy (or more)

I used a 52% cocoa content dark, coz like lemon, I find people's tolerance of bitterness varying, so for the greater good, I stuck with a mere 52%. If I was eating it myself, I'd have used Green & Black's 70% or 85%....which I only have one bar of, so am saving it like a bar of gold bullion. Or my precious packed of Valrhona. (70%)

Ya, anyway, melt the above mixture in a double boiler set up. Low heat, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the surface of the water. (or you could cheat like I do, and just zap the whole darn thing in the microwave. This is where those glass measuring jugs come in really handy).

Meanwhile, in a mixer bowl, mix 4 eggs, 4 yolks (use the whites for a healthy omelette). 110gm sugar, teaspoon vanilla extract, until its trebled in quantity, and leaves a ribbon trail when you lift the beaters. This should take about 7 minutes on a kenwood chef. (with a balloon whisk).

Slowly pour the melted chocolate around the perimeter of the bowl of egg mixture, (as in, don't pour it plonk into the centre), and then sift 60gm of flour onto the mixture, and gently fold. This is rather laborious work, and takes about 5 minutes for the chocolate, flour, and egg to be incorporated into each other's warm embrace, without losing too much air.

Your pale egg mixture should now be the color of milo kau, .... whereupon you should transfer the batter into individual pudding bowls (8 numbers) or ramekins, which should be WELL GREASED, and into a preheated 200C oven. Bake for 12 minutes, and the centres should ooze out a molten fudge.

The beauty of this recipe is, it can be made in advance, and refrigerated, and baked just before serving. Plop it out of the pudding bowls, inverted, onto a plate, and serve with pure cream, or vanilla ice cream.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks yummy! can u pls let me know where to buy valrhona chocolate? thanks a lot!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

tankew tankew tankew I'm going to try this very soon. Stand by the phone for emergency calls from me. :-P

fatboybakes said...

anonymous, you can buy valrhona at:
The French Culinary School In Asia
HTC In Asia Sdn Bhd.Level 8 Annexed Block – Menara IMC,(next to Concorde Hotel, pls take carpark lift to 8th floor)No. 8, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia
Tel: 03 2078 7969

They have branches in lorong gurney and tropicana golf club, so call them to find out which is nearest for you.

lyrical, sure, call anytime.

Babe_KL said...

so susah post the recipe for what? just post your number big big for us to call you :p LOL

boo_licious said...

Ah, sounds good. May use my 55% Valrhona block for this, trying to experiment with less bitter chocolate also.

Precious Pea said...

Ahh...perhaps i should start baking! Hopefully won't fall sick after baking, just like the last time.

Anonymous said...

Buta-baking lad here... But I can cook :D

Unknown said...

thank you so so so much for pointing the place to get the valrhona chocolate. I'm going to try HTC In Asia. Btw, my name is chloe. cheers!

Tummythoz said...

Yadda yaddayda yadda. So when can be your pak-lou-shu' (white mouse aka guinea pig) again?

fatboybakes said...

chloe, glad to be of help.

babekl, feel free to call me anytime dahlink.

boo, you know, i havent used any of my valrhona yet. so sayang to use. some more not all the recipients might appreciate it.

precious pea, just remember, a watched oven never bakes. (people FYI the woman fell sick coz when she baked she kept staring at the oven, and got fever)

jason, cakap serupa bikin. cook for us soon.

tummythoz....hmmm, have to find some new experimental recipes, or find inspiration to "create my own"...

Anonymous said...

Ehh... cannott.. sure you guys will have faint after tastes my cooking!

msiagirl said...

Aha, now I know what to bring you when I next visit your wife-lah! Green and Blacks,huh.But you know Cadbury's bought them, ya? Trying to decide if they got more waxy!

GFAD said...

FBB, Just tried your cheese puffs. You're right, they're idiot-proof!! :D This is only the 2nd time I have ever attempted making choux and this time they've got hollowed centres! Yay! Your recipe is for keeps. Next time I will omit the cheese and stuff them with creme patisserie. Why pay RM3.60 for a cream puff-eh?

And your suggestion on the ikea sticks is excellent!! Don't know why I never thought of that! I bought the waffler at Abu Dhabi. It is from the Kenwood range of Disney products (they have an ice cream maker, another waffler that makes 4 mini mickeys and a smoothie blender).

I am considering getting the Delia and Nigella series in DVD (books are good, but seeing them cook inspires me to cook! :D ), you know where to get ah?

fatboybakes said...

jason....we're willing guinea pigs.

jackson...what the heck's valcany?

msiagirl, please, buy plenty plenty...we'll pay you....

k.at, alas, i only got them on my astro max, dunno where to buy.

Wandernut said...

is this recipe anything like nigella's molten cakes?

the recipe looks almost similiar, but mine is always underdone... sigh.

beats paying RM20 for the choc volcano at TSB, though I must say it's bloody excellent. yet to try the one at cafe cafe though... after seeing your post, now i know i must!!