Monday, February 22, 2010

Warung Cafe, A Brilliant Discovery By Le Couple Toy

Every now and then, you make a discovery that makes you want to spread the good news. To be honest, when ToyBoy invited me for lunch, at midvalley megamall on a Saturday, the week before Chinese New Year, images of being stuck in a 2 hour crawl in the carpark, suffocating from CO fumes (that's Carbon Monoxide, for those of you who've given back your Chemistry to your teachers), conjured in my mind, and short of giving an excuse that I was having morning sickness, I reluctantly hauled myself there.

Warung Cafe is easy enough to find, its in the North Court, opposite FOS kids, and just at the entrance to the footbridge to the Komuter, and Northpoint. It's a small food court set up, and very pleasant, cosy, and bright (in the day time). The gregarious and my new idol owner, Sue, was there at the table, where Logan was already tucking into a bowl of delectable looking mee rebus all by himself. Thamby of course would add another delectable adjective before Logan's name.



Their signature 3 layer gula melaka tea. Surprisingly, it is not as sweet as it looks, and tastes magnificent. Seriously, just thinking about it (and the other stuff) makes me wanna hop over to midvalley right now. Anyway, its not a flaming lamborghini, and you are supposed to mix it up before drinking, or you'd end up drinking pure gula melaka. Seemed a pity to destroy the gorgeous strata.


An assortment of nyonya kuehs were also served. All delicious, and I'm not just saying that coz the meal was free. It's quite easy to get awful nyonya kueh, ....just go to most hotel buffets. For some unbeknownst reason, nyonya and malay kuehs at hotel buffets are usually bad.



Gotta give it to Sue for creativity. This is a serunding toast. Much like kaya toast, but laced with yummy serunding. However, the bread does fill you up, so if you are eating other stuff, best to stay away from this, as it will soak up and expand in your stomach, and you wont be able to try the OTHER goodies.



The Petronas Twin Tower rice, this dish is called.



I'm kidding, its nasi tumpang, blogged about eons ago by our definitive queen of the food bloggers, Masak Masak. According to a friend I spoke to over the chink new year break, nasi tumpang is kelantanese and usually comprises leftovers etc. But not THIS nasi tumpang. If it was leftovers, it was glorious leftovers. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!!!! Layers of serunding, fluffy rice, chicken curry and more serunding, that would give a geology student an O.


.....like the lass up here ....


Look at that. Glorious layers of goodness.


Tumeric Fried Chicken, ....can't go wrong there. Needs to be eaten when freshly fried. Sue prides the place (she says she is not the owner, her son is, and she is a regular paying customer) with using clean oil, which is true, coz the Fried Chicken tastes so "clean", and freshly fried.


A happy nasi tumpang camper.


Nasi Lemak, which was also yummy. The rice is steamed. The sambal was good. However, by this time, we were, as you can imagine, feeling realllllly stuffed.


To really finish us off, ...Sue fed us with more, Soto Ayam.... I love soto ayam, and there are many versions of it. I do prefer meehoon to nasi impit. But we were really far too full.


Roti Canai, just for variety....like we needed it.





Another piece de resistance, the dried prawn serunding rice. The rice is covered, like a veil over a bride, with a large omelette, and as you lift the veil, oops, omelette, you discover the beauty that lies beneath. (unless you're Jacob and Leah). A spicy complex but delicious "hair bee" ...apparently its toygirl's favourite dish.



The girl and her roti....


And a cool ice kacang to really finish off the job, and exploding our stomachs. Its funny how VASTLY different people's expectations of a good ice kacang are. With corn, without corn, no kidney beans, must have kidney beans, red beans, no red beans, etc etc...the list and permutations are ENDLESS!!!! For me, my favourite combination is Corn, Red Beans (not kidney beans, I HATE those), Leong Fun, (grass jelly) ...and on the ice, generous amount of evaporated milk, gula melaka, dribble of rose syrup, and dash of santan.


I honestly dunno where Frat mustard appeared from, but he disappeared as quickly as he appeared. Was it just an apparition?

Anyway, Sue, (my new idol, I did mention right) is such an entrepreneur. She also owns the Himalayan Herbal chain, which we all visited (like a school field trip), and bought lots of stuff. She also owns Che Che, some girly handbaggy stuff, at which point I went to Carrefour to buy Oreos for baking.

Thanks for organising, ToyCouple, and thanks Sue. I can't wait to bring the kids and friends there. I NEED NASI TUMPANG!!!!

19 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Now that's something I dunno - nasi tumpang made of leftovers. You're a walking wikipedia, Lady Cornelia.

thule a.k.a leo said...

Something that I can consider when going to Mid Valley next time... unlike you, I always arrive there between 10 to 11am :P

J said...

More evil but yummy carb-y options! Yay (?)...
:)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yummm i suppose can park at northpoint so dont hav to suffocate at the midvalley car park rite?

ToyGirl said...

haha...looking at those pics makes me salivating and craving for rice. which is not a frequent occurance (coz i don't eat rice!)

HairyBerry said...

Yeah, i tried their 3 layer tea before. Very nice. The people there are helpful too. I once left my shopping bags there and they ran after me to return my bags. And i thought which enemy of mine was chasing after me...haha.

fatboybakes said...

hairy berry, how could you possibly have any enemies? you're so lovable.

toygirl, yalor hor, i also craving. lets go soon.

nipples, now that i know, yeah, i'd have parked at northpoint. but traffic surprisingly wasnt so bad.

fatboybakes said...

J, yummy carbos indeed.

leo, hahaah, what do you mean unlike me? what time do IIII normallly arrive?

morgan, i only hearsay from my friend who lived in kelante... i dunno if its true. i aint no walking wiki.

Ciki said...

OMG! you got even Logan posing for you!! heck, everyone poses for the magnificent AHPA! bow bow.. :)

The Petronas Twin Tower rice looks fantastic.. u better take me soon.. :P

Rebecca Saw said...

Didnt knw it was owned by Sue. (met her eons ago at a Retail conference by my ex-company).
And yes, NO KIDNEY BEANS in my ais kacang pls!

Rarebeet said...

Mmmmmm! My stomach is growling reading your post! Food sounds fab! Will definitely venture into house of horror aka Megamall to give it a try! Btw, those kueh are homemade right? I love kueh!

Kenny Mah said...

"The Petronas Twin Tower rice, this dish is called."

You Evil. I actually spent half a minute figuring out if they sold both plates together to constitute the twin towers bit, or just a name, in which, it's not complete cos got only one tower...

:P

Okay, maybe you not evil. Kenny Dumb. LOL

qwazymonkey said...

Ah Pa, I ALSO blogged about the nasi tumpang here ages ago u know! :P

Hehe, but yea, I love the food here. Simple and nice. :)

Saw Leng, KOH said...

Hey,

The food looks great but dont think the plates used were appropriate for the kind of food placed on it.
The floral print plates remind me of winter warmer.

J2Kfm said...

One of the better place for yamcha in midv. Though it'll be nice if they offer some seats wif back support instead of stools. Aiks. Old mah,...

nicolas yongco jr said...

"The Petronas Twin Tower rice, this dish is called." - what a nice shape and style of the rice looks really tower..

wall clock

wall painting

clock Singapore

minchow said...

You kid me! I walk by this place everyday on the route to the office and it never, NEVER looks like this!! Time to check them morning goggles!

daphne said...

that really looks like a great find!!!! I am taking note of the address for sure.

gfad said...

I hope the cafe doesn't change ownership (unlike a certain cafe at Lrg Maarof) before I get a chance to cuba-cuba. It's not easy to find authentic Malay (not Indonesia-nised) food nowadays. Nothing beats pure Malay-style sambal and ayam goreng rempah for nasi lemak.

How come you like red bean but not kidney bean? Is the latter just a bigger version of the former??