Friday, August 29, 2014

Ante Kitchen & Bar, Upping The Ante - My Most Fun Brunch of 2014

ANNOUNCEMENT: In conjuction with the launch of their new Brunch Menu, diners who dine at Ante Kitchen from 1-12 September will get a 50% discount voucher for when they return for Brunch.  

There's something about the word Brunch, that for me is automatically associated with holidays, bubbly, friends, ...afterall, one does not brunch alone.  You can lunch alone, but brunch.... never.

When I got the invitation to try out the new brunch menu at Ante Kitchen in Solaris Dutamas, (actually, I'm not sure what the difference is between that and Publika), I was in a bit of a fix, because none of the bloggers I asked were available, so what to do, what to do, one cannot brunch alone.  I very uncharateristically unashamedly asked Nigel (from whom the invite sprang forth) if I could bring a few friends, to which he very generously said no problem, for I did assure him that these friends are food lovers and are likely to be return customers.  One of them even lives in the block, so yes, they were good candidates as return customers.

Can't miss the location, for it's right at the entrance of the carpark, opposite Duta Tropika.


A well stocked bar is always a welcome sight, and they do stock a substantial variety of wines, and alcohol at rather reasonable prices.

This 8 Piece pork nuggets are really the best snack food to go with alcohol.  I'm not really a nugget fan per se, afterall, it's usually associated with dry, processed meat, but these were fabulously moist and tasty.  It is afterall, pork. RM15, less than RM2 per nugget. 

Chicken Wings and Drumlets.  Nicely bread crumbed, and another perfect accompaniment with booze. RM12



Deep fried soft poached egg.  In my haste, I forgot to take a photo of the glorious golden yolk oozing out like lava from a volcano.  Bits of bacon, hollandaise, on an English muffin.  RM23.  I feel hungry just looking at this. 

The quintessential English Big Breakfast, with bratwurst, bacon, eggs, sauteed mushrooms and baked beans and milk toast.  RM35.  It really is a very big breakfast.  The sausage is thoroughly porcine, and has a lovely smokey taste.  I guess you could opt for your eggs to be done differently. 

Croque Madame, bacon and wine infused cheese, with egg baked into the middle of the milk toast.  I asked the "manager", CK what the difference was between a Croque Madame and Monsieur, to which he replied, Madame got hole.  RM28.  It's huge actually, and very very filling. 

Rosti and Bratwurst, ... Potatoes rosti-ed (grated and roasted), with generous helpings of meat. I personally need my eggs, so this would not have been one of my first choices. RM26. 


Baked Eggs in Cocotte,  With Chorizo Sausages.. Lovely creamy texture, with the slight tang and heat of the chorizos, and garlic bread for dipping into the entire thing.  RM29.

Their signature dish, the Chargrilled Pork Steak, (my son described it as one heck of a sexy cut of meat), is really worth trying.  RM46.  The sear on the meat is gorgeous, and the meat itself, just the right balance of fat and lean, and the quality of the meat itself is really superb.  Who needs black iberico when you have this kind of pork steak!!! It is described as the best cut from the shoulder.  I have been having dreams about this dish ever since! 

The real bacon carbonara.  RM28.  If you like carbonara, then this is the ultimate decadence.  I used to love carbonara when younger, but now I find it a bit too rich, and after the first two mouthfuls, I feel I can't go on, which makes this the perfect dish to share actually.  Bits of crispy bacon, loads of button mushrooms, ..




Gnocchi Napoli, home made potato pasta dumplings in a glorious tomato sauce, with a hint of cream, parmesan cheese and a few token strands of arugula... RM24.  Actually, I never realised how palatable gnocchi can be...but again, I think I myself would not be able to finish an entire plate.  Another sharing dish.


Onion Rings, RM15.  Beer food.

My type of pasta.  I could easily finish this myself, so utterly delicious, and "clear" (as opposed to creamy).  Caramelised Garlic Olio... bits of crisp crunchy caramelized garlic, streaky bacon bits, a dash of white wine, button mushrooms.  RM25.

Another utterly decadent dish, Pork Diane, RM35.  Slathered in a rich creamy diane sauce, the tender pork sits in this pool of creamy delight.  Yummy.


Ultimate Pork Belly Sandwich, ..fatty and lean pork that melt in the mouth, crispy bit of pig ear confit, a tangy homemade salsa sauce, with two wholesome slices of milk bread.  RM29, with fries and side salad.  My only complaint is there wasn't enough pork belly! 


Garlic Bread,  6 slices of toasted baguette with generous slathering of garlic butter.  RM9.

What a spread.... It's like running a food marathon, so I was really grateful that the owners and Nigel Gan had allowed me to bring my friends...the Beatles song, comes to mind, especially this part:

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends
Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends
Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,
with a little help from my friends





Special thanks to Mr Leon, who so generously brought a Monkey 47 Gin, and to John & Leon for sharing the Nikka Coffey!!!

Incidentally, corkage is RM50 for wines, and RM70 for liquor. 




Thanks to CK for the very generous spread, and for the alcohol as well!!!


Bread and Butter pudding, RM9...

I thoroughly enjoyed this apple crumble, also RM9. 

And thus ended an epic afternoon of great food, great company and great booze!!! Truly my best best review of 2014.

Thanks for the invite, Nigel Gan!

Add:
Ante Kitchen and Bar
Solaris Dutamas 1
Jalan Dutamas 1,
50480 Kuala Lumpur
Phone:03-6206 3364
Hours: Open daily 7:00 – 10:30 pm

2 comments:

Ciki said...

madame got hole. and eggs. hahaha :P Nice one! I nearly picked this title for my post on Ante .. but I figured I'd let you have it:P

Unknown said...

I Never ever found such edifying blogs.
garcinia cambogia extract